Sunday, April 12, 2009

Hamlet: Act 1, scenes iv-v

In Act I, scenes iv-v Hamlet encounters a ghost. This ghost is the spirit of his late father. While keeping night watch with Horatio and Marcellus, the ghost appears and calls for Hamlet. When the spirit signals for Hamlet to follow him Horatio and Marcellus urge him not to go because they feel that something terrible will happen. (At this point I would have certainly listened to them because seriously how would I know whether this ghost was trying to help or harm me.) Hamlet follows the ghost into the darkness and leaves Marcellus and Horatio behind. After debating what to do they decide it's best to follow him in case Hamlet might need them.

At this point in the play I was curious as to what would happen next. Various questions came to mind like; Why did the spirit of Hamlet's father appear and call for him? Where was this spirit taking him? and What was going to happen to Hamlet?

After asking myself these questions I finished reading. After taking Hamlet into the darkness, the spirit of his father told him what had happened and how he died. He told Hamlet to avenge his death.( Which I was surprised to find out it was actually a murder) He told Hamlet that he was poisoned while napping and told him that Claudius was to blame. (talk about revenge). As day approaches the ghost dissappears and Horatio and Marcellus ask Hamlet wahat happened during the night. Hamlet refuses to tell them. Later he tells them of his devious plan and tells them to sear not to mention it.

So far I've learned that the story of Hamlet is full of lies, deception, and betrayal. I can tell now that all of the events that have happened are leading up the the climax of this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment